Laser tattoo removal is a very simple procedure, however, proper aftercare is crucial for the best results. Spectrum Laser Aesthetics uses the latest technology and safest protocols to ensure your skin receives the best treatment. We ask that you provide the same level of care for your skin at home as we would in our clinic. Not only does proper aftercare produce great results, but it also prevents infection and unwanted complications from arising. Patients will receive detailed aftercare instructions at their tattoo removal appointment.
• Keep the treated area clean and dry during the healing process. Gently clean the area with soap and water and pat to dry. Be careful not to rub the skin as this may cause irritation.
• Apply a thin coat of antibiotic ointment three times a day for the first three days after treatment. Cover with a sterile bandage each time.
• Blistering is a very common side effect to laser tattoo removal. Do not be alarmed at their appearance. Although unsightly, blisters are a natural reaction to the healing process and an indication that your immune system is removing the ink from your tattoo. Do not force blisters to pop, doing so can lead to unwanted infection. Allow the blister to pop naturally then apply an antibiotic ointment for at least 24 hours.
• Scabs are another common side effect and should be left alone to heal naturally. Forcefully picking a scab can lead to unwanted infection and more serious complications.
• If you experience any discomfort, swelling or inflammation, apply a cold compress to the treatment site for 24 hours. Tylenol (acetaminophen) may be taken for pain relief, but avoid taking aspirin as it can increase risks of bruising and/or bleeding
• Showers may be taken, but be careful to not let high-pressure water directly hit the treated area. Baths, pools, hot tubs, and other soaking activities should be avoided until the treatment area and any blisters or scabs are completely healed. Soaking of the treatment site can lead to risks of infection.
• Apply a sunblock with SPF 25 or higher over the treated area during the healing process. Excessive sun exposure and tanning activities should be avoided.
• Please contact our practice immediately if you experience any serious complications or symptoms develop.